Thursday, July 26, 2007

Picking Candidates the American Way

by Joel Thompson

I recently discovered an interesting and unquestionably American website. The site, http://www.dehp.net/candidate/, lists 25 hot button political issues, asks for the reader’s stance on and how important each is, and quickly determines which presidential candidate best represents your beliefs. Go ahead and try it.

Why is this unquestionably American, you might ask? Because at some point in the last 200 years, everyday people stopped doing their own homework on candidates and began allowing themselves to be force fed who the “leading” candidates were, regardless of how their own beliefs matched those of the hand-picked. This website feeds the beast that is general American apathy toward political participation and the terrible habit that is allowing the media and special interests to determine our candidates.

I find myself torn by irony, however. I actually wish more people used a website like this to determine their favored candidates. After all, some homework is better than none, and the only way I can come to terms with the fact that George W. Bush won reelection in 2004 is to believe that the people voting for him really had no idea why they were picking him over John Kerry or anyone else for that matter.

Propaganda on Saddam Hussein’s role on 9/11 and WMD aside, a tremendous amount of people must have voted for Bush with no understanding on where he stood on remarkably critical issues, like immigration and global warming. Bush is so out of step with the majority of Americans on so many issues, it continues to be the only explanation for his achieving four more years in the world’s most important office.

With primary season approaching, I hope Americans on both sides of the aisle take the time to do some research and support whoever best represents their beliefs. Heck, I hope they start with a visit to this site. If you do, drop BLoTics (BLoTicsBlog@gmail.com) a note to share the results and your thoughts.

My own results surprised me, and I’ll be back to tell you more….

And as a quick aside, I want to welcome anyone who stumbles upon our little parcel of the blogoshere. The opinions on this site will be those of some friends who are passionate about the political future of our great nation, and who look forward to discussing the same with people everywhere, regardless of stance.


Digg!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find it hard to believe that anyone would find themselves anything other than surprised at their results! There was one candidate who agreed with me on everything, but he is short and has big ears!

With most voters basing their decisions on looks, I know this candidate has no hope of a win. I know someone who hates Hillary Clinton because of a facial expression they saw on her during one moment in time in the aftermath of September 11th. One moment in time. After that disaster, I felt numb, jaded, tearful, every moment brought a different emotion. This is what drives a decision in the voting booth?! Terrifying.

Anyway, loving the blog and looking forward to more BLoTics!